Friday, April 23, 2010

Letter Home 05-16-1944

Tuesday 2030

05-16-1944

Hi Honey:

I got in on the cross country I missed Sun. this morning. We took a bunch of airplanes there, and flew back in a transport plane. It was a nice trip both ways.

While I was at this other strip I ran into a couple of the boys I knew before. I sure am finding a lot of fellows I used to know. I’ve still got my fingers crossed hoping I get in one of the Squadrons in the 348th.

We had another big lecture today. Or rather I should say tonight. We just got back. It was long enough. We were there for 2 ½ hours. They have usually been fairly interesting, so we don’t mind too much. Also we don’t have much else to do.

I forgot to mail you letter this morning. In fact I left in such a hurry I forgot my sun glasses and my cigarettes. We got up a bit late this morning. No one woke up till 6:45, so we only had 20 min to get ready, eat, and be down at the bottom of the hill to meet the truck.

One of the boys here in the hut evidently likes ketchup even better than you do. A couple of them just got arguing about breakfast, and this guy said the only way he likes pancakes is with ketchup on them. He would eat it on anything if he could get it.

I got off on a tangent there. I was telling you about forgetting your letter. I did not get back till 4 o’clock this afternoon, so I just mailed it before supper. It will probably be going out in the morning with this one.

I love you sweetheart very much. Always and all ways –

Love George

2 comments:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Neat premise! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

Dr. Bill ;-)
http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

Brian said...

Thanks for having me! I have already started reading some of the great sites there and have been enjoying it quite a bit.