Monday, May 10, 2010

Letter Home 05-28-1944

Sunday 2100

05-28-1944

Hello Darling:

We had church in one of the mess halls this morning. That building we did have it in before has been torn down. Now this one, the mess hall, is going to be wrecked too. So next week it will be somewhere again.

I tried to talk some of the boys into going to town this afternoon. However, around 1:30 everyone started to take a nap it looked like, so I just joined them. Not that there is anything to do in town. I only though of going in for something to do.

I saw Lyle Dowsett today. He and a few other guys that I don’t know were here to pick up some planes today. He said most of the boys up there are getting disgusted with the way the war is going. They never get any Japs to fight with.

Their main complaint is that the bombers go in, and bomb the Jap strips, and usually destroy all the Jap planes on the ground. So then they have no one to fight! Most of them have not been in more than 5 or 6 fights. They fly a lot of missions that they don’t see Nips though.

I am beginning to need a new haircut. I guess that first one I got was not quite short enough. I will try to do better this time.

A couple of the boys were carving each others hair the other day. I don’t know which one did the worst job on the other, but I am not ready to let them start on me yet.

I got 12 air mail stamps a couple of weeks ago, and now I can’t use them. They are all stuck together. That happens to everything here. Our envelopes too get stuck, but so far I’ve still been able to use mine. Certainly is a rough war!

I love you darling – all ways and always –

Love George?

No comments: