Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter Home 07-14-1944

Friday 1800
07-14-1944

Hello Darling:

One of the boys in the tent took a trip over to the mainland today to see about getting some souvenirs. He sure is crazy about that. If he takes home all the stuff he hopes to get he will need two trunks to carry it all.

Anyway he did get a few booklets in Japanese. Evidently they are field manuals. He also got some of the Jap invasion money. There two I am sending you are part of it. They aren’t worth anything. The Japs were going to use them to pay the natives for helping them. I suppose they did use some of it. Maybe that is one of the reasons the natives hate the Japs so much. They certainly don’t have any use for them. They take everything from the natives, but never give them anything in return.









Besides this money I guess I better send you some real stuff that can be used in the good old USA. I don’t know if I will get a chance to go to the finance office tomorrow or not, but if I don’t I will do it as soon as I can. I think I will be able to send you $200.

I got interrupted to go to the show. It was Bob Hope in “They Got Me Covered.” It was old, but I’d never seen it before, so I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Other than to complain of a lack of mail I don’t think there is much more I have to say. I hope we start getting something soon.

I thought of something just now that I would like. A finger nail clipper. Not for my finger nails – for my toe nails. I used to have a nice sharp pair of scissors, but I guess I put them in my foot locker. I got a pair over here and they are big dull things. I used one of the boy’s clippers and it worked OK. So since it is small I though you might be able to send me one.

One of the boys in the mess hall the other day said he had a letter from his mother, and she said that it was no longer necessary to have a request to send packages to officers overseas. I don’t know if it is true, or if it includes enlisted men or not. I meant to tell you before, and let you check up on it, but I forgot it till just now.

I said I could not think of anything, and then wrote another whole page. I certainly ramble along at times don’t I? Now I see I have one more sheet of paper in this pad, so I may as well wrack my brain a bit and ramble some more to use it. I thought the other night I only had one pad left, but I found this one with a few sheets in it, so I still have a pad left.

It doesn’t take any effort to think of how much I love you. I do that all the time every day. I think of you a lot also all the time.

Stangel asked me to something about my drinking at home, and if you drank. It reminded me of the one time I got tight with you. Remember what’s his names party? I know – How could you forget it!

I played a little poker last night. That is the first in quite a while. Not bad though. That’s why I can send you some money. If I am lucky maybe the boys will help build us a hut yet eh? Don’t worry darling I am still careful, and don’t just gamble everything I own whenever I do play.

I love you very much sweetheart. Always and all ways. Deed I do!

Love George?

No comments: