Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Letter Home 07-05-1944

Wednesday 1900
07-05-1944

Hello Darling:

Well the long vacation is over. We are working again. We flew our first mission at last. These missions run a lot longer than any we ever had before. By the time it gets to be 3 to 4 hours or more our fannies are plenty sore. I never got so sick of sitting on one spot before. We can’t squirm around very much either, because we are strapped in very well by the safety belt and shoulder straps. Of course I suppose we could loosen them up, but after one experience I had (remember?) I want them tight.

Then we have to sit on a little rubber boat without any cushion. It is made into part of the parachute, and there isn’t any room for the cushion. Doggone it is hard too!

After that I did not think I would be able to work for a week, but after playing some volley ball, and taking a shower I feel pretty good. Very surprising. I feel as if I am ready to go again.

They have a pretty fair set up here. We can usually get ice water every day. They have a little kitchen set up on the line too were we can get sandwiches and cold drinks also. I had something good last night too. These boys got hold of some canned chicken, and they were making sandwiches in their…

…get me some.

Burgess and Morrison wandered in as I finished that last line, and they have kept me busy batting the breeze all night. Now it is time for lights out, so I have to hurry up to say good night. Don’t blame the boys too much for the interruption will you. It is swell to see them and talk to them.

I love you very much darling. Always and all ways – Take care of you for me won’t you? I love you –

Love George

No comments: