Friday, June 4, 2010

Letter Home 06-15-1944

Thursday 1100

06-15-1944

Hello Darling:

I think I’ve just got time to dash off a note before lunch. Not that I haven’t got plenty of time for anything these days, but I can’t afford to be late for chow. I might miss out on some good Bully Beef!

We have been playing cribbage most of the morning. I paired up with Baker, and we lost. Then for a while I played him two handed, and beat him. He gets so doggone mad when I do that. Cusses me for not getting the same good hands when we play together.

They had a jungle trip lined up for us this morning, but most of the boys skipped it! They were going in there without any food, and stay all day. There was an Aussie going along to show them what is good to eat in the jungle in case they ever have to take a walk through it. They figure that they would get more out of it if they actually ate some of the stuff. We have all been to lectures to see it, but none of us have tasted it. Personally I don’t want to till I have to, and I hope I never have to.

It is later now. In fact we just finished supper. Right after lunch Baker and I went down to the line, so I did not get this letter finished. His gun barrel had become a little rusty, so he took it down to the armament to see if they could clean it up a bit. However they could not, so I don’t know what he is going to do with it.

There is some program on the radio right now that sounds as if it must be this native lingo. They first started singing the song “The Deacon Went Down In the Cellar to Pray”, only they sang it in their own language. At least we think that is what the song was. The tune was the same!

I don’t think I have much more to say darling. Unless it might be to remind you that I love you very much. That I do indeed –

Love George?

No comments: