Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Letter Home 05-03-1944

Wednesday 330 PM
05-03-1944

Hello Darling:

We started doing something at last. Yesterday afternoon we had a lecture, and then last night we had two Australian officers in to talk to us. They were pretty interesting. Both of them had lived in Japan before the war, and they naturally knew quite a bit about the Nips.

This morning some of us started flying. Most of the boys are enjoying it immensely. They can get away with a lot more here than they could back in the states. I bet there was more buzzing and low flying went on today, than has been done in the U.S. in the past 6 months.

Naturally I did a little myself, but don’t worry honey I was careful. I never got down nearly as low as most of them.

I’ve been playing cribbage with one of the boys in our tent, and I think I would do better playing for matches, or else trying poker. We were playing for sixpence a point, and I lost about three pounds. Better I should try poker.

I hope you don’t mind these fairly short letters darling. We don’t have much to say, and don’t do much. And because of the censorship we aren’t allowed to say much either.

Speaking of censorship I’ve been wondering if these letters are censored. They are subject to it of course, but as officers we seal our letters when we mail them. Enlisted personnel have to leave theirs unsealed. We just sign out envelopes in the lower left hand corner to certify that they contain no military information. Let me know some time if they censor eh?

I love you – lots and lots. I sure do hope they get going soon, and shove our mail through. I miss you letters very much. I love you!

Love George

No comments: