Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Letter Home 05-02-1944

Monday 8AM
05-02-1944

Hello Darling:

Perhaps you are wondering why I seem to be always writing in the morning, but you see I have time then, and it is the coolest part of the day. The sun doesn’t really get going till a little later. It is of course cool at night, but we don’t have much of a light to be doing anything then. Usually we are in bed by 8 or 9.

Last night we had a show. It was an old murder mystery, but it was pretty good. I was thinking then that I don’t know how I will stay awake when I do get home. After a year or two of this (that’s possible, but I hope I get home in less than two) I will be so used to going to bed at 8 or 9, that I will be yawning all over if I try to stay up later probably. If course there may be a difference in the time I get up. We get up at about 6 here. They only serve breakfast from 630 to 730.

Yesterday I got ambitious, and did some laundry. We don’t have any real place to do it, so it isn’t really as clean as it could be. However it is a trifle cleaner, and we don’t worry about that too much.

I was going to write to Dottie yesterday, but I could not find her address. I can’t remember it exactly, nor do I know how she is to be addressed now since she got here rating. If you will send it to me I may be able to start writing to her in a month or two. It will probably take that long for letters to get back and forth.

Speaking of you letters reminds me that it has been a long time since I’ve heard from you. Not that I am blaming you sweetheart. It is simply because of all this moving around. And one of the boys in the orderly room said it would probably be a couple more weeks before any starts getting here. I certainly do miss your letters too.

That’s about all of the news at the moment darling. If you can call it news. It is kind of hard to write nothing in a letter.

Something that is easy to say is I love you. Easy to say, but much easier to mean. Especially to such a lovely wife as you are.

Love George

No comments: