Monday, December 15, 2008

Letter Home 09-15-1944

Friday 1700
9-15-44

Hello Darling,

Well my shopping has improved a bit. I’ve been wandering around for days trying to find something for you, and haven’t had any luck. Today I found a pair of opals that are fairly well ?, so I bought them. They don’t do any settings here though, so you will have to have settings made for them. I think they should make a nice pair of earrings. Now all I’ve got to do is get them mailed.
While I was in the shop, I got the guy to wrap them, and put the little chain bracelet in with the opals. Quite a difference in values there. Anyway he fixed them up, but when I took them to the APO to get them mailed I tried to insure them. They said I couldn’t, and that the package was too small. He told me to take it to one of the department stores in town, and have it wrapped in a larger box. Then he would register it for me. I can not get it insured. They pay no attention to insurance over here. I sure hope you get them after all this.
I also did something yesterday that I’ve been meaning to do for a long time. I had my picture taken. I only saw the proofs today. The final product won’t be ready for 2 or 3 weeks. So I left you address for it to be mailed to you. I can’t get a frame for it. They are too heavy to mail. Seems like everything I am trying to send you for your birthday has to be finished by you. I hope you don’t mind too much darling. I don’t like it this way, but there just anything I can do about it. They just don’t have things here to fix things up. According to the lady in the photography studio it will take about 6 or 7 weeks to get to you. I hope it hits close to your birthday. I won’t be in a position to send anything then. Not from some little forgotten island in the Pacific.
I guess I will knock off for now honey. How do you like my new stationary by the way. I got 12 pads to take back with me, so I will be able to write to you every day as I would like to all the time.
Honey I must tell you something very important. (To me at least) It is, I love you very much. More every day I am away from you. I hope we get back together soon! I love you.

Love

George

No comments: